Overheating exhaust fans set off alarms that brought the ESFD to the Excelsior Springs High School Monday evening.
At approximately 8 p.m., fire trucks from Excelsior Springs and Kearney arrived on the scene of the high school and found smoke coming from the school’s Family and Consumer Science room. They discovered exhaust fans over the stoves were left on and were overheating. The heat melted some of the plastic covering around the fans that created the smoke.
The fire department arrived in time to stop the spread of the damage to other parts of the high school, said High School Security Director Jeff Kimsey. The door was closed and helped contain the damage to just the fans, ceiling tiles and doorway of the FACS classroom.
Kimsey credits the alarm system and quick response from the fire department for keeping the damage to a minimum at the high school.